Hi friend! That’s as much of ourselves as we can show for now. But once we quit our jobs in 2017 (so soon!), we’ll put our real names up here and take those silly badges off our faces. If you want to know what this blog is all about, and what we’re all about, you’ve come to the right place.
What’s Our Next Life?
This is a chronicle of our journey to retire at the end of 2017 (or maybe sooner!), when we’ll be 41 and 38. But it’s a whole lot more than that. Contrary to what reality TV stars might say, we are here to make friends. And that’s where you come in. We hope you’ll join our community of planners and dreamers, all of us working to save up for early retirement, get out of debt or just forge a path in life that’s different from the norm.
This is not a place where anyone will judge you for not being a perfect frugal master — heck, we used to be the worst spenders of them all. Instead, this is a place where we can all seek out balance together, finding the best way to plan for an awesomely kick-ass future while still enjoying the heck out of today. Where we can talk about the finance side of early retirement, but not only that — we also go deep into the feelings, too.
And we’re always happy to lend an ear and cheer you on, wherever you are in the early retirement journey.
Who Are Mr. and Ms. ONL?
We’re a married couple, currently 40 and 37, who have major ants in our pants to retire as soon as humanly possible. We believe you don’t have to be a financial pro to be smart about your money, or even to do something bold and audacious like quit working for life while still young. And we certainly don’t believe you have to give up everything fun or live like a monk to do it either!
Some random facts about us:
- We’ve been married for almost nine years, together for 12 total
- We’ve been saving for early retirement for real for about five years so far, which will make for a total of six years when we pull the plug
- No kids, just doggies
- We’re obsessed with all things outdoors. A few years back, we moved from the great big city to a small mountain town in the Intermountain West that gives us unlimited access to the outdoors — for free! — making it a lot easier to save for early retirement faster! And making it easier to ski more days every year.
- We love photography. All photos you see on the blog are taken by us, unless clearly noted.
- We both telecommute to high-stress east coast jobs that we’ve had a long time, and which we can’t risk losing without hurting our retirement plans (hence the temporary anonymity)
- We could eat tacos or any other Mexican food every day, and never get sick of it
- We dream of extended travel after we quit, and plan to buy a micro RV to fuel our adventures. We’ll be the ones parked at the base of the ski resort, raring for first chair!
- Ms. ONL is the voice of the blog and on Twitter… for now
More things we love:
Music festivals (alt rock, synth pop, EDM), world travel, organic farmers markets, wooden jigsaw puzzles, library e-books, improvising in the kitchen, flea markets, pub quizzes, good coffee, bluebird powder days and spring corn, Redbox, writing, stand-up and improv, zero waste grocery shopping, rowdy rapids, loud action movies and cerebral documentaries, bowling, every kind of cycling, DIY, exposed ridge climbs, and Just Dance on Wii (okay, that last one’s really just Ms. ONL)
For a rundown on how we’re saving and how we’ll support ourselves after we quit our jobs, check out Our Early Retirement Plan. And for a sampling of our favorite posts and more on our backstory, check out our Start Here page.
Get in touch!
- Email us at ournextlifeblog [at] gmail dot com.
- Follow us on Twitter at @our_nextlife.
- Follow us on Instagram at @our_nextlife.
- Follow us on Facebook at ournextlife.
- Follow us on Pinterest at our_nextlife.
- Follow us on Bloglovin.
Thanks for reading! We can’t wait to get to know you. :-)
All photos are original unless clearly noted.
Linking encouraged, but posting photos and/or content allowed only by permission.
Copyright 2016 our next life. All rights reserved.