Financial independence books to get you started*
- WORK OPTIONAL: Retire Early the Non-Penny-Pinching Way by Tanja Hester (my book)
- Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin
- The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins
- Retire Early With Real Estate by Chad Carson
- The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley and William Danko
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John Bogle
Books by friends*
- Broke Millennial: Stop Scraping By and Get Your Financial Life Together, by Erin Lowry
- Get Money: Live the Life You Want, Not Just the Life You Can Afford, by Kristin Wong
- Meet the Frugalwoods: Achieving Financial Independence Through Simple Living, by Elizabeth Willard Thames
*Scroll down to the bottom of this page for info about these affiliate links. Because I have strong feelings about this, and you deserve to know the deal. ;-)
Blog and podcast friends who create kick-ass content
- northern expenditure
- she picks up pennies
- jessica moorhouse
- broke millennial
- kristin wong
- wallet hacks
- half banked
- millennial boss
- slowly sipping coffee
- bitches get riches
- the luxe strategist
- amanda page
- pretend to be poor
- retire before dad
- go curry cracker
- afford anything
- 1500 days
- where we be
- mindful explorer
*Here’s the deal with those Amazon links…
…because I feel strongly about blogger transparency.
Our Next Life is not monetized, for a whole bunch of reasons. However, there are some large costs involved with operating the blog and newsletter that make this an expensive hobby, one that’s hard to justify on a retired budget. The books I recommend include affiliate links, and the revenue from them (around $.46 per book purchased) covers a small fraction of the out-of-pocket costs of providing ad-free, unsponsored content to you at no charge. My aim with the affiliate links is — absolute best case — to break even on out-of-pocket expenses, so that providing this content isn’t a money pit for us. But here’s my commitment: In any calendar year in which affiliate income fully covers the cost of web hosting, photo editing and email list maintenance (the latter is the biggest expense by far!), I will donate all earnings above and beyond expenses to charity directly or to our donor advised fund for charitable giving, for the remainder of that year. And of course I’m thrilled if you go check these books out at the library instead!
The required fine print: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Want extra Our Next Life content? Get the e-newsletter!
Subscribe to get our periodic newsletter with tons of top secret, behind-the-scenes info we'll never share here on the blog.